Tomas Berdych was born on September 17, 1985 in Valasske Mezirici, CZE (Czech Republic). His father, Martin was a train engineer and mother, Hannah, a doctor by profession. Berdych started playing tennis when he was just five and as years passed by his interest for it urged him to play and practise at a tennis centre in his hometown. Soon he became a top junior and won Czech Republic 12-under junior title and for better coaching prospects and practice partners moved to the city of Prostejov. However, in order to keep himself abreast with academics, Berdych frequently traveled home and visited his school. He won 14-under nationals and just at 16 he was the recipient of the exalted 18-under national title in the city of Parovbice. Berdych’s favourite surface is hard court and he is good at forehand and serve.
His most distinguished accomplishment was making to the final of the 2010 Wimbledon Championships by defeating defending champion Roger Federer in the quarterfinals. Later, he overpowered World No.3 Novak Djokovic in the semi-finals but lost to Rafael Nadal in straight ends. Berdych was able to get to the semi-finals of the 2010 French Open and then to the 2012 US open where he beat World No.1 Roger Federer at the quarterfinals again. So far, he is the only player to defeat Roger Federer on numerous occasions before reaching the semi-finals in Grand Slam. Berdych attained a World No.6 on October 18, 2010 and preserved that designation again on September 10, 2012.
They are back. Yes, the trio Djokovic, Federer and Nadal along with other top tennis names return to play the Tennis Masters Rogers Cup in Montreal. Although names like Robing Soderling, Andy Roddick and David Ferrer have pulled out of the biggest prize tournament of Canada but the tennis spectators will enjoy the greatest trivalry of greatest tennis players Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. As per the draws, following matches or clashes can be expected in the Montreal Tennis Masters Rogers Cup:
1) Serbian tennis player Djokovic, the current No.1 tennis player might face Nikolay Davydenko in the second round and Juan Martin Del Potro in the third round before a competitive match with Gael Monfils in the quarters.
2) Del Potro will have to play Marin Cilic and Nieminen and win against them to play against Djokovic.
3) For Monfils to face Djokovic, he will have to deal with American tennis player John Isner and Viktor Troicki.
4) Andy Murray might face Kevin Anderson in the second round before coming on to Wawrinka who defeated Murray in the US Open 2010 however Wawrinka will play his first round match with Nalbandian.
5) The king of clay, the Spaniard Rafael Nadal seems to be in least trouble as he would be opening against Chardy of Dodig before going on to Fernando Verdasco in the third round and then playing Tomas Berdych or Gilles Simon in the quarterfinals.
These are the predictions only as the Trio can be vulnerable to any upset while playing in the Rogers Cup 2011. Stay tuned for live action, scores and updates from August 6, 2011.