One of the desirable components of tennis is a powerful serve which is in the arsenal of a tennis player. In the present tennis world, greatest female tennis player Serena Williams has come up with a superior serve that she demonstrates in almost every game. You cannot exactly duplicate her serve but learning some of her tricks will help you develop a superior serve. Here are tips to help you serve like famous female tennis player Serena Williams:
1) Toss the ball pointing upwards with open fingers. Tossing a ball with hands spread like an open flower is one technique that not every player uses. This also helps you keep the ball out of alignment and release the ball into air straight up.
2) To harness power from your legs, bend your knees and add that power to your serve. Keep your focus on the ball as you reach up before hitting it. By the use of the deep knee bend, Serena thrusts herself upwards in order to deliver the powerful serve.
3) Serena uses only her upper body to practice serve. This has given her a fast arm as well, which allows her to throw a serve of 90 miles per hour. You can practice the upper body part session by asking someone else to toss the ball for you.
4) While serving, hold the racket with loose wrist. Use only your index finger and thumb to hold the racket as it will tell you how much tension you will need in order to serve.
5) Be confident and study the game of tennis players you admire.
The hottest tennis player, Andy Roddick, is famous for his strong serve. Famous male tennis player Andy Roddick holds the record for serving the fastest serve with a speed of 149mph.Since then, no other tennis player has been able to break Andry Roddick’s fastest serve record. Anyone would love to serve like hot Andy Roddick. The tips to serve powerfully like tennis player Andy Roddick are the following:
1) Andy Roddick’s serve comes from a strong base. You should begin with good practice tactics by putting your weight on the front foot by keeping it an angle of 45-degrees to the baseline.
2) Toss is the most critical part of a good serve. The tennis experts advise the players to hold the balls by using all five fingers with their tips. The beauty of Roddick’s serve is that he shifts the majority of his weight into his back foot and releases the ball with his arm extended fully upwards. During this action he makes sure that he tosses the ball in front of him slightly. After this, he throws his racquet behind him, arches his back and bends his knees while transferring his weight to the front foot.
3) Roddick’s physical strength allows him to create immense power in throwing actions. Roddick swings the ball from low to high and uses both of his feet for jumping forward along with ball. Roddick makes sure that he hits the ball at the peak of his toss to generate more power in his serve.
4) The power in Roddick’s serve comes from the largest groups of muscles: the hips, legs and shoulders. Allow your body weight to throw forward when striking the ball and do not take your eyes off the ball.
Famous male tennis player Rafael Nadal is known as the clay specialist. Not only has he displayed his game and mentality extravaganza on clay but he has been performing really well on grass and hard courts as well. His strong physical attributes and game knowledge have helped him to acquire the world no.1 tennis player rank. If you aspire to be the next Nadal, here is what you should follow:
1) You need to have an extraordinary fitness level. Your body will be challenged in a cardiovascular capacity which requires you to increase your body’s resistance and power.
2) You need to work on your racket grips. Being a clay court specialists, Nadal uses western forehands with which the racket is gripped with the palm facing up and the strings of the racket are perpendicular to the ground. This helps the heavy topspin. You have to be very strong in order to benefit from topspin. Nadal has a two-handed backhand but he runs around to play as many forehands as possible.
3) Nadal likes to approach the net and finish the point, which is his common tactic to attack the opponent. His volley is all over the court and this talent makes him different than the other clay court players. You can afford to be defensive on clay court but on other courts you need to be offensive by coming on to the net.
4) Nadal’s serve is not a major strength, but his ability to position the serve and create pace and spin enables him to counter his opponents easily.
5) Last but not the least, Nadal sort of dictates his opponent. Nadal, with his magical placement, makes the opponent move in exactly the manner he wishes. You will have this talent only if you use your creative skills.
The greatest tennis player and legend Pete Sampras, with 14 Grand Slams under his belt, is one of the best male tennis players in tennis history to pick up a racket. Pete was known as the royalty of tennis. With his exceptional play and all-rounder performance, playing like Sampras is pretty close to impossible, but you can still use some of his talents to improve your tennis skills. Use the below tips and play tennis like Sampras:
1) Sampras, due to his extraordinary serve, was known as Pistol Pete. Sampras was not only able to bring heat in his first serve but he had an amazing talent of using his second serve as a weapon. His second serve used to be around 100mph mark routinely. So if you want to play tennis like Sampras, you must have control and accuracy in your serve. If you have a brilliant serve, you won’t even require the aces to claim the game. You have to understand that serve is not about power but it is about placement. Practice serving and try to place every area in the court in order to achieve Sampras skills.
2) Identify your strengths in tennis. Sampras had a huge and strong forehand which failed the opponents completely in tennis. Sampras used to dodge his opponents over his backhand side which he used to lead the opponents to play his forehand, so you need to identify your talent and capitalize on it.
3) Use your mental tactics. When you are playing tennis, assess the opponent. You should notice if your opponent is having problems with your forehand or if he is running down his best shots along with drooping shoulders. If you see any of these signs, take advantage.
The top tennis players are judged from their tennis serves. A strong and controlled serve could win a match for tennis players. As serve in tennis is the starting point of game, so excelling in serving a tennis ball is like building a base for a long-lasting and successful career. Serving a ball in tennis takes a few lessons, time, and months upon months of practice. For excelling in advanced serves, you need to have a grip on crucial basic serve. The basic tennis serve is played by following few steps:
1) Stand behind the baseline of the court and hold racket in your dominant hand with a basic or continental serve grip. Position yourself to the right or left side of the central mark on the court baseline and turn slightly sideways to net.
2) Now take the ball in your non-dominant hand and toss it in the air. The ball should be tossed high enough in the air so that when you use your racket to make contact with the ball, you arm is fully stretched in the air. Keep this momentum and hit your racket through the ball. Let your arm follow naturally into the downward movement.
3) In case your first attempt fails and hits into the net or goes into the incorrect service box, try another serve till you correctly locate it. You must keep in mind that your foot should not touch or step over the baseline prior to ball contact.
And keep practising. Without practice, you wouldn’t be able to have a winning serve.
One of the most popular sports in the entire world is tennis. It is full of excitement which never ceases until the last point is played and won. The best thing about tennis is the fact that it provides an intense work-out session for the players, apart from being exciting. There are a couple of ways in which you can play the game. You can play tennis with a single opponent or you can play the game with a partner and two players for the opposite team.
There are rules for tennis which everyone can understand because of its simplicity. Basically, you can win a game of tennis in two, three or five sets. Generally the ladies’ tennis matches have a best of three sets while their male counterparts have a best of five sets. Each player plays a tennis serve alternately for a game. He/she must try to finish the set by reaching the game tally of six by having a margin of 2 or more games to his/her credit. If both the players reach the mark of six, then the result of the set is decided by a tie-breaker in which both the players serve alternately for every two points.
From simple set win to final set tie-breaker, tennis takes the audiences to different levels of excitement, thrill and joy.