Pamela (Pam) Howard Shriver was born in Baltimore, Maryland on the 4th of July, 1962. Presently a tennis broadcaster working with ESPN, BBC and Seven Network, Shriver is also known for her exceptional tennis talent she showed on the courts through winning 133 top level titles in her career which include one mixed doubles and 21 women Doubles Grand Slam titles. She also wears a God medal she earned at the Olympic Games held in Seoul in 1988 winning the game with her partner Zina Garrison. She is also the winner of two more gold medals in the Pan American games in 1991 where she received gold for a singles match and one for a women’s doubles.
Shriver turned pro in 1979 and in between announcing her retirement in 1997 she was a tennis marvel especially in the doubles game. Shriver reached her career’s highest singles rank of No. 3 on 20th February, 1984. Although she never won any Grand Slam finals of the singles game she ended up as a runner up in the 1978 Amateur under-16 game in the US Open where she lost to Chris Evert. She also holds 48 singles titles in which she won 21 and ended as a runner up in 27 games. Shriver won 21 of her initial singles title in 1978 in Columbus, Ohio. Shriver also holds 111 Women’s doubles titles including 21 titles and 5 runners up positions in the Grand Slam along with winning a mixed doubles title as well of the French Open in 1987. Shriver is counted among the six females whose career titles exceed the 100 count in the open era. She was ranked as the World’s No.1 doubles player on 18th March 1985. She captured all four grand slam doubles titles for herself in 1984. Her name was inducted in the International tennis Hall of Fame in the year 2002.
Famous tennis player, Martina Navratilova no doubt is one the finest and a successful women tennis player as far as the 20th century is concerned. Martina Navratilova was born on 18th October 1956 in Czechoslovakia. Navratilova endeavor the hearts of tennis fans with her impeccable tennis achievements which include 31 Grand Slam women’s double titles, 18 Grand Slam singles titles and 10 Grand Slam mixed double titles. Martina’s 31 doubles Grand Slam wins are a record in tennis along with 9 Wimbledon women’s single title wins.
Martina Navratilova won her first Grand Slam in the year 1978 at Wimbledon when she was 22 years old. With this win, Martina got the World No. 1 rank for the first time in her tennis career. With this, Martina became unstoppable and she reached her career peak by dominating all tennis Grand Slams. Here are some of the records set by Martina Navratilova in tennis world:
- Among the only three famous female tennis players, Martina Navratilova is the one who accomplished career Grand Slams in women’s single title, women’s double title and mixed doubles as well.
- Martina holds the record of most singles titles (167) and double titles (177) in the open era.
- Navratilova holds the record of longest winning streak in tennis (74 consecutive matches)
- Martine Navratilova reached 11 consecutive singles finals of Grand Slam, only second to Steffi Graf’s thirteen consecutive singles.
- Martina Navratilova equals the record of Billie Jean King of 20 Wimbledon titles (in singles, doubles and mixed doubles)
- Next to Margaret Court’s 62 Grand Slam titles, Martina Navratilova has the second highest (58) Grand Slam titles.
- During the open era, Martina won the most singles match (1,442)
Tennis speaks for glamor when it comes to female tennis players. In a singles match, two glamorous players keep everyone captivated. However, this glamor doubles when four famous female tennis players come onto the court with their amazing outfits and perform at their best. The Australian Open has also been entertaining in female double tennis tournaments. For the past two years, USA tennis players Serena and Venus Williams have been dominating the female double tennis championship. The top ten best female double tennis players with the most Australian Open titles list is:
1) Thelma Coyne Long/Nancye Wynne Bolton
2) Evonne Goolagong Cawley/Peggy Michel
3) Martina Navratilova/Pam Shriver
4) Martina Hingis/Natalia Zvereva
5) Serena Williams/Venus Williams
6) Gigi Fernandez/Natalia Zvereva
7) Mary Bevis Hawton/Thelma Coyne Long
8) Helen Gourlay Cawley/Evonne Goolagong Cawley
9) Martina Hingis/Anna Kournikova
10) Alona Bondarenko/Kateryna Bondarenko
Thelma Coyne Long has been the dominating female player with no fewer than 12 double tennis titles. Since Thelma, such a consistent female player has not shown up in doubles.