The era of 2010-2000 in women French Open tennis tournaments had many different tennis players winning the title. Among these names, famous female tennis player, Justine Henin-Hardenne ruled this decade and claimed many French Open titles. Henin Hardene owns 7 Grand Slams out of which she has won four French Open grand slam titles. Henin’s mental toughness and her variety of game has helped her win not only on clay but on other courts as well. Legendary players like Navratilova, Agassi and McEnroe have considered Henin Hardenne as the best female tennis player of the present era. She was also included in the “30 Legends of Women’s Tennis: Past, Present and Future” in 2011 by TIME.
The list of female winners and runner-ups of French Open tennis championship during 2010-2000 is as follow:
Year 2010-2000 French Open Tennis Singles Women Winners:
- French Open winner (female)-2010: Francesca Schiavon
- French Open winner (female)-2009: Svetlana Kuznetsova
- French Open winner (female)-2008: Ana Ivanovic
- French Open winner (female)-2007: Justine Henin
- French Open winner (female)-2006: Justine Henin-Hardenne
- French Open winner (female)-2005: Justine Henin-Hardenne
- French Open winner (female)-2004: Anastasia Myskina
- French Open winner (female)-2003: Justine Henin-Hardenne
- French Open winner (female)-2002: Serena Williams
- French Open winner (female)-2001: Jennifer Capriati
- French Open winner (female)-2000: Mary Pierce
Year 2010-2000 French Open Tennis Singles Women Runner-up:
- French Open runner-up (female)-2010: Samjantha Stosur
- French Open runner-up (female)-2009: Dinara Safina
- French Open runner-up (female)-2008: Dinara Safina
- French Open runner-up (female)-2007: Ana Ivanovic
- French Open runner-up (female)-2006: Svetlana Kuznetsova
- French Open runner-up (female)-2005: Mary Piece
- French Open runner-up (female)-2004: Elena Dementieva
- French Open runner-up (female)-2003: Kim Clijsters
- French Open runner-up (male)-2002: Venus Williams
- French Open runner-up (female)-2001: Martina Hingis
- French Open runner-up (female)-2000: Conchita Martinez
In tennis, it can be interesting to reflect on past events. Many notable occurrences take place within a particular Grand Slam. There are certain facts and records that are overlooked by many of us but they do make for interesting parts of the tournament. Australian Open is one such grand slams that has offered several different records, events and facts that will definitely interest any avid tennis fan.
Here is the information and facts detail about Australian Open 2004:
1) Names previously unknown to tennis fans, Nenad Zimonjic and Elena Bovina won the open mixed doubles title of the 2004 Australian Open.
2) Fabrice Santoro and Michael Llodra won the 2004 Australian Open doubles title for the second year, beating the Bryan brothers in the final.
3) Famous female tennis player Amelie Mauresmo withdrew from the 2004 Australian Open quarter final while she was among the top ten female tennis players at that time.
4) Three American famous female singles tennis players Lindsay Davenport, Lisa Raymond and Chanda Rubin made their way into the Round of 16 of Australian Open 2004.
5) Four American men singles tennis players Andy Roddick, Robby Ginepri, Andre Agassi and James Blake reached the Round of 16 in the 2004 Australian Open.
6) Justine Henin-Hardenne, being the top seed player in 2004, won the third Grand Slam, i.e. Australian Open 2004 after defeating Kim Clijsters.
7) Russian male tennis player Marat Safin snapped the 26-match win streak of Agassi at the Australian Open by defeating Agassi in the thrilling semi-final of Australian Open 2004.
8) Among the top ten seeded male tennis players in 2004, Carlos Moya withdrew before the the 2004 Australian Open event.
Women, with their sporty and ravishing looks, dressed in beautiful outfits have been playing on Garros since 1897. Though it’s hard to play on clay, women came out to be really strong and have been setting records on Garros. Women tennis stars add up colors to the clay court by their ravishing and vivid outfits which are always a treat to watch.
Like men, women tennis players have set the records on Garros by winning the most single and consecutive single titles as well. Players like Henin, Steffi and Chris Evert have shown absolutely amazing tennis skills and incredible wins on the clay court. Let’s have a flashback in these two categories.
Winner of most Women’s singles titles on Garros
Era before 1968
The legendary player Suzanne Lenglen claimed six singles titles of Garros.
Era after 1967
Chris Evert broke the record of Suzanne by wining seven single titles. No one in the present time is even close to her record.
Winner of most consecutive women’s singles titles
Era before 1968
It’s again the legendary player Suzanne Lenglen who won the consecutive Roland Garros singles titles from 1920-1923.
Era after 1967
Justine Henin, the present clay queen, has been able to win three consecutive Garros titles from year 2005-2007. Henin has immense potential on clay and is surely going to make use of her caliber to win the maximum Garros titles.
Presently, the players who have the potential to lead on clay are Henin and Kuznetsova. Keep watching the Garros event every year to know how far these ladies will have gone in the event.
Famous female tennis player Svetlana Kuznetsova is a Russian born tennis professional who is currently ranked 27 in Women’s Tennis. She has won two tennis Grand Slam singles titles during her career and has been runner up in other Grand Slam finals. She is a reigning French Open champion and she also won the US Open title in 2004. Kuznetsova was a runner up in the French Open in 2004 and Us Open in 2007. She has born to a coach father who has coached five world and Olympic cycling champions. Kuznetsova could not keep up with her winning streak in year 2008 where she reached only two finals. She kept losing to seeded players and ended as World No. 8 at the year end which made her the only women tennis player to be among top ten best female tennis players with no title. The performance of Russian tennis player Kuznetsova improved in year 2009 when her ranking improved to 3 but she could not retain this ranking and fell to World No. 27 in year 2010 which is her lowest career ranking.
Svetlana Kuznetsova is an all-around tennis player who can play good tennis on any kind of surface, be they grass or clay courts. Her strong game depends on her powerful services and heavy forehand shots. Svetlana’s services are generally aided by her strong physique and she is considered to be one of the most powerful women along with the two famous tennis players Venus and Serena Williams. It has been accepted by many tennis experts that her inside-out forehand shots are the best in the world. Svetlana can play winners from both wings. Svetlana has effective volley shots and she is also effective providing a deft touch. The footwork applied by Svetlana makes her game stronger and she is considered to be one of those rare players who can move and play on any type of court.
Famous female tennis player Maria Sharapova is a former number one Russian professional tennis player who resides in North America but plays sing her Russian nationality. Maria Sharapova became the World No. 1 on August 22, 2005 and regained this spot again for the fourth time on May 19, 2008. Currently, she has been ranked at number 8 because she hasn’t played much tennis because of consistent injuries. Maria has won 23 WTA singles titles with three major Grand Slam single titles in her career to date including 2004 Wimbledon, 2008 Australian Open and 2006 US Open. She achieved her first major title at Wimbledon in 2004 at the young age of 17. Year 2010 has been very disappointing for Russian tennis star Sharapova as she could not win any Grand Slam and lost to many players, hence ended at WTA Rank 18.
Maria Sharapova plays an aggressive baseline game with depth, angles and power on her backhand as well as forehand shots. Rather than hitting regular volley shots, she prefers to play strong and swinging volleys with attacking lobs or by approaching the net. Considering the height of Maria Sharapova, she is considered to have a very good court covering speed. From the 2008 season she has improved her game by adding drop shots, sliced backhand shots and showed improvement in footwork and movement. Maria Sharapova is famous for her “grunting” on court which has been recorded at the highest decibel of 101 during Wimbledon 2005. Maria Sharapova was declared as most glamorous athlete of the decade at the end of 2009. Russian tennis player, Maria Sharapova is considered as the hottest tennis player due to her body curves and gorgeous looks. She has attained much of popularity due to her looks.
. This tournament organises both men’s as well as women’s tennis championships and is the brainchild of H.H.Sheikh Mohammad bin Rashid Al Maktoum who is the Vice-President and Prime Minister of the United Arab Emirates and the ruler of Dubai. For over a period of five years the tournament saw a complete dominance on the men’s as well as the women’s front. Roger Federer won the Dubai Tennis championship for a consecutive period of 5 years from 2003-07 while Justine Henin from Belgium did the same in the women’s championships. Last year saw a different set of winners, Andy Roddick and Elena Demetieva doing the honours. This year saw a different set of winners as well with Novak Djokovic stealing the limelight in the men’s tourney while Venus Williams saw off the challengers to win the women’s leg. The Dubai Tennis tournament is one of the most important tennis tournaments in the world because of the high prize money that attracts a lot of high-ranked players from all over the world.