Going 6-0 in a particular game is easy but to go 6-0 in order to win the match is not easy. Tennis requires some excellent control in order to give no chance to the opponent to play serve of the serving player. Not many tennis players enjoy the flavor of whitewash in tennis. As for the Australian Open, six men tennis players and 13 women tennis players have been able to do a complete whitewash in one match to claim the victory. Here is the list of famous male and female tennis players who won the Australian Open singles title with a whitewash:
Whitewash result for men’s singles title in Australian Open (6-0, 6-0, and 6-0)
This record has been set by six famous male tennis players so far in Australian Open:
1) Famous male tennis player James Anderson in the first round of Australian Open 1925
2) Famous male tennis player Fred Perry in the quarter final of Australian Open 1935
3) Famous male tennis player John Bromwich in the first round of Australian Open 1949
4) Famous male tennis player Neale Fraser in the first round of Australian Open 1953
5) Famous male tennis player Martin Mulligan in the first round of Australian Open 1960
6) Famous male tennis player Richard Russel in the first round of Australian Open 1966
Whitewash result for women singles title in Australian Open (6-0, 6-0)
For this, 13 female tennis player claimed this whitewash, out of which four women did the whitewash in the 1998 Australian Open Grand Slam. In the same year, Mary Pierce achieved the feat twice due to her whitewash. Wendy Turnbull achieved this feat 3 times and Margaret Court achieved it four times.
Tennis is an extremely versatile game due to the range of events it arranges every year. The tennis double tournaments are always looked forward to with enthusiasm by tennis fans. The doubles tournament are always very fast and exciting. Many single players also participate in the doubles championship and hold the grand slam titles as well.
Like all the Grand Slams and other tennis tournaments, the Australian Open also entertains its fans every year by arranging the double tennis tournament. Due to the new surface in the Australian Open, Plexicushion Prestige, the consistency and speed of the game has increased which makes the tennis double matches much faster and more interesting. In year 2010, famous male tennis players Mike Bryan and Bob Bryan won the double tennis tournament for the second consecutive year. The famous Brian Brothers have been pretty consistent with their wins in the double championships.
The top ten male double tennis players with most Australian Open titles list is:
1) Adrian Quist & John Bromwich
2) Rod Laver & Robert Mark
3) Fabrice Santoro & Michael Llodra
4) Bob Bryan & Mike Bryan
5) Mark Edmondson & Kim Warwick
6) D.P. Turnbull & Adrian Quist
7) John Bromwich & Adrian Quist
8) Bob Hewitt & Fred Stolle
9) Rick Leach and Jim Pugh
10) John Hawkes & Gerald Patterson
As you go through the list, you will notice one name dominating. Adrian Quist has been the one man who is leading the Australian Open doubles even now. Let’s see if the Bryan brothers make it to Quist’s record.