In tennis, it can be interesting to reflect on past events. Many notable occurrences take place within a particular Grand Slam. There are certain facts and records that are overlooked by many of us but they do make for interesting parts of the tournament. Australian Open is one such grand slams that has offered several different records, events and facts that will definitely interest any avid tennis fan.
Here is the information and facts detail about Australian Open 2004:
1) Names previously unknown to tennis fans, Nenad Zimonjic and Elena Bovina won the open mixed doubles title of the 2004 Australian Open.
2) Fabrice Santoro and Michael Llodra won the 2004 Australian Open doubles title for the second year, beating the Bryan brothers in the final.
3) Famous female tennis player Amelie Mauresmo withdrew from the 2004 Australian Open quarter final while she was among the top ten female tennis players at that time.
4) Three American famous female singles tennis players Lindsay Davenport, Lisa Raymond and Chanda Rubin made their way into the Round of 16 of Australian Open 2004.
5) Four American men singles tennis players Andy Roddick, Robby Ginepri, Andre Agassi and James Blake reached the Round of 16 in the 2004 Australian Open.
6) Justine Henin-Hardenne, being the top seed player in 2004, won the third Grand Slam, i.e. Australian Open 2004 after defeating Kim Clijsters.
7) Russian male tennis player Marat Safin snapped the 26-match win streak of Agassi at the Australian Open by defeating Agassi in the thrilling semi-final of Australian Open 2004.
8) Among the top ten seeded male tennis players in 2004, Carlos Moya withdrew before the the 2004 Australian Open event.