In tennis, it can be interesting to reflect on past events. Many notable occurrences take place within a particular Grand Slam. There are certain facts and records that are overlooked by many of us but they do make for interesting parts of the tournament. Australian Open is one such grand slams that has offered several different records, events and facts that will definitely interest any avid tennis fan.
Here is the information and facts detail about Australian Open 2004:
1) Names previously unknown to tennis fans, Nenad Zimonjic and Elena Bovina won the open mixed doubles title of the 2004 Australian Open.
2) Fabrice Santoro and Michael Llodra won the 2004 Australian Open doubles title for the second year, beating the Bryan brothers in the final.
3) Famous female tennis player Amelie Mauresmo withdrew from the 2004 Australian Open quarter final while she was among the top ten female tennis players at that time.
4) Three American famous female singles tennis players Lindsay Davenport, Lisa Raymond and Chanda Rubin made their way into the Round of 16 of Australian Open 2004.
5) Four American men singles tennis players Andy Roddick, Robby Ginepri, Andre Agassi and James Blake reached the Round of 16 in the 2004 Australian Open.
6) Justine Henin-Hardenne, being the top seed player in 2004, won the third Grand Slam, i.e. Australian Open 2004 after defeating Kim Clijsters.
7) Russian male tennis player Marat Safin snapped the 26-match win streak of Agassi at the Australian Open by defeating Agassi in the thrilling semi-final of Australian Open 2004.
8) Among the top ten seeded male tennis players in 2004, Carlos Moya withdrew before the the 2004 Australian Open event.
Tennis is an extremely versatile game due to the range of events it arranges every year. The tennis double tournaments are always looked forward to with enthusiasm by tennis fans. The doubles tournament are always very fast and exciting. Many single players also participate in the doubles championship and hold the grand slam titles as well.
Like all the Grand Slams and other tennis tournaments, the Australian Open also entertains its fans every year by arranging the double tennis tournament. Due to the new surface in the Australian Open, Plexicushion Prestige, the consistency and speed of the game has increased which makes the tennis double matches much faster and more interesting. In year 2010, famous male tennis players Mike Bryan and Bob Bryan won the double tennis tournament for the second consecutive year. The famous Brian Brothers have been pretty consistent with their wins in the double championships.
The top ten male double tennis players with most Australian Open titles list is:
1) Adrian Quist & John Bromwich
2) Rod Laver & Robert Mark
3) Fabrice Santoro & Michael Llodra
4) Bob Bryan & Mike Bryan
5) Mark Edmondson & Kim Warwick
6) D.P. Turnbull & Adrian Quist
7) John Bromwich & Adrian Quist
8) Bob Hewitt & Fred Stolle
9) Rick Leach and Jim Pugh
10) John Hawkes & Gerald Patterson
As you go through the list, you will notice one name dominating. Adrian Quist has been the one man who is leading the Australian Open doubles even now. Let’s see if the Bryan brothers make it to Quist’s record.