Evonne Goolagong, famous Tennis player, was born in Australia in 1951. She was lucky to have been picked by veteran tennis coach Vic Edwards, who trained her so well that she took World number 1 rank when she eventually started playing professional tennis at her full potential.
She won 14 Grand Slam titles during 1970s and 1980s. With her phenomenal performances, she was considered to be among the top players throughout these two decades. She won Wimbledon as well as French Open during her rather longish career.
She became a sensation in Australia when she won French Open and Wimbledon in 1971. Australian press loved her for her style while fans enjoyed her competitiveness on the court and her personality off the court. Another reason for her popularity was that she defeated Margaret Court in the Wimbledon finals. Margaret was the only other lady from Australia at that time to have ever won Wimbledon final.
When she won the Wimbledon, she was a mother. She was the only mother to have won the title in last 66 years of the tournament. She was also the last mother to have won the same title but her record was broken when Kim Clijster won the title in 2009.
Every tennis tournament comes with limitless information and interesting facts . Keeping those facts in mind and watching the game go along makes it even more interesting as you keep on calculating and speculating the results and records. The Australian Open is the first Grand Slam of the year after which the streak of unending matches begins and continues for an entire year. If you are a crazy fan of tennis, not knowing the most basic and interesting facts of the Australian Open is like doing injustice to the word “fan.” Here are some interesting facts and trivia about the Australian Open:
1) Famous female tennis player Margaret Court is the leading winner of most Australian Open female titles
2) Greatest male tennis player Andre Agassi is the leading winner of most Australian Open men titles (tie with Federer)
3) One of the best female tennis player Steffi Graf is the legendary player who defeated Chris Evert in the 1988 Australian Open to win the Golden Slam.
4) The Williams sisters are the USA tennis players who met in the final of the Australian Open in year 2003.
5) From years 1988-2007, the court surface of Australian Open was hard (Rebound Ace).
6) Many tennis lovers believe that the Australian Open event is arranged in Sydney. Don’t let that confuse you, as Melbourne is the host site of the Australian Open.
7) The Williams sisters, with their dominant play in doubles, won the Australian Open doubles title 3 times.
8) In 2009, famous Spanish tennis player Rafael Nadal won the longest match in the history of the Australian Open against Fernando Verdasco.
9) Not many of you know that the Australian Open is also known as the Grand Slam of Asia/Pacific.
10) The first pair of American siblings to win the doubles title of Australian Open is the Williams sisters.
11) Among the many leading players in the Australian Open, Evonne Goolagong Cawley was the only player to achieve the WTA’s number one ranking.
12) Hottest female tennis player Martina Hingis ended the unbeaten 33 match career run of Monica Seles in 1999 in the Australian Open.
Australian Open is the first Grand Slam of the year and the players are judged pretty much for their performance in this slam. The tennis fans use the results to predict the future for every tennis player in the calender year. Australian Open offers a very exciting start of the year with indoor beautiful courts. The crowd cheers for not only Australian but other players as well, making the Australian summer much more overwhelming for every tennis fan.
A three-set tennis game, particularly for women, has been offering plenty of excitement as the game is fast and ends usually in a victory after two sets. From clay’s slower-paced games to hard court play, famous female tennis players have been casting spells with their magical play. The former female champion of the Australian Open title is Serena Williams, who also won the doubles championship with her sister Venus Williams in the same year for the second consecutive year as well. With the Bryan brothers and Williams sisters winning the doubles for second consecutive year, they were the second siblings to set this record.
The list of the ten female tennis players with most Australian Open titles is:
1) Margaret Smith Court
2) Nancye Wynne Bolton
3) Steffi Graf
4) Evonne Goolagong-Cawley
5) Thelma Coyne Long
6) Martina Hingis
7) Monica Seles
8) Serena Williams
9) Jennifer Capriati
10) Joan Hartigan Bathurst
Among these ten top ten female tennis players with the most Australian Open titles, greatest tennis player Margaret Smith Court secured 7 Australian Open titles and still enjoys this record. Who could possibly break this record?
Tennis speaks for glamor when it comes to female tennis players. In a singles match, two glamorous players keep everyone captivated. However, this glamor doubles when four famous female tennis players come onto the court with their amazing outfits and perform at their best. The Australian Open has also been entertaining in female double tennis tournaments. For the past two years, USA tennis players Serena and Venus Williams have been dominating the female double tennis championship. The top ten best female double tennis players with the most Australian Open titles list is:
1) Thelma Coyne Long/Nancye Wynne Bolton
2) Evonne Goolagong Cawley/Peggy Michel
3) Martina Navratilova/Pam Shriver
4) Martina Hingis/Natalia Zvereva
5) Serena Williams/Venus Williams
6) Gigi Fernandez/Natalia Zvereva
7) Mary Bevis Hawton/Thelma Coyne Long
8) Helen Gourlay Cawley/Evonne Goolagong Cawley
9) Martina Hingis/Anna Kournikova
10) Alona Bondarenko/Kateryna Bondarenko
Thelma Coyne Long has been the dominating female player with no fewer than 12 double tennis titles. Since Thelma, such a consistent female player has not shown up in doubles.
The Australian Open game is held on a hard court in Melbourne Park. The Australian Open is the first tournament of all the Grand Slam tennis Tournaments. The other tournaments in the Grand Slam games include French Open Championship, Wimbledon Championship and US Open Championship. The Australian Open needs some tact and knack while playing. The tennis players need to be completely fast and must be dazzling enough to forecast the turn of the ball upon the various kinds of shots. The Australian Open is played on a hard court surface. In hard courts the bounce is more than any other surfaces. This will cause the raising of the ball to a great extent. The Australian Open does not enjoy the network covering and broadcasting like all other Tennis tournaments. The Australian Open also has an indoor play like that of Wimbledon Championships. The Australian Open tennis tournament was outclassed by few greatest female tennis players who proved to be great in all other courts like the hard court. These best female tennis players have carved a place for themselves through a vital focused and brilliant plan. The below mentioned list of top ten Women Champions in the Australian Open Championship are magnificent players who have enchanted the audience with some of the most outstanding Australian tournaments ever. These famous female tennis players are known to be leaders in the tennis arena and have earned titles and Championships in other tournaments as well.
- Margaret Smith Court
- Nancye Wynne Bolton
- Daphne Akhurst Cozens
- Serena Williams
- Evonne Goolagong Cawley
- Steffi Graf
- Monica Seles
- Joan Hartigan Bathurst
- Martina Hingis
- Martina Navratilova
Fascinatingly, most of these players are of Australian Origin and have done well in all these tournaments carried out in their home land. These top ten women are a great source of inspiration for the young people who wish to make it big in tennis world.