Australian Open 2005 was special because the Australian super star tennis player Lleyton Hewitt made it into the finals and the two time runner-up, Marat Safin of Russia finally won the Australian Open final. It was in year 2004 where Safin defeated Agassi in a thrilling semi-final, later to play Federer in the final.
The year 2005 in the Australian Open tournament brought some very interesting facts and records which were not parts of tennis world previously. Here is a sneak peek into the information and facts about the 2005 Australian Open:
1) One of the best female tennis player Serena Williams came strong in the 2005 Australian Open and won the title by defeating Davenport.
2) Donald Young became the youngest tennis player to win the Australian Grand Slam title in the junior event. He was just 15 years and 19 days old.
3) Samantha Stosur and Scott Draper won the mixed doubles title of the 2005 Australian Open.
4) In the 2005 Australian Open women singles title, famous Indian tennis player Sania Mirza became the only Indian woman to reach the third round of this Grand Slam.
5) Patty Schnyder defeated Dementieva. Along with her, another two seeded players Petrova and Anastasia Myskina were also bowed out.
6) Russian tennis player Marat Safin gave away the first set so easily in the 2005 Australian Open men singles title final, but came back brilliantly later to claim it.
7) After Pat Cash, who reached the Australian Open finals in 1987, it was the Australian tennis player Lleyton Hewitt who made his way into the final of Australian Open 2005.