Year 2007 was a surprise as Gonzalez made his way into the final against Federer, where the King Fed won the championship (his 10th Grand Slam title). Year 2006 was again the year of Federer where he got emotionala fter receiving his trophy from Australia’s greatest player Rod Laver.
A look into the 2006-2007 Australian Open could be concluded in one post. Some of the incidents worth highlighting and information about Australian Open 2006-2007 are as follows:
1) In the 2006 Australian Open, Razvan Sabau, Filippo Volandri, Mariano Zabaleta and Marcos Daniel retired from in the first round.
2) In the 2006 Australian Open, 7 Australian tennis players, 12 American tennis players and 2 British tennis players participated. Among these, only nine players managed to progress into the second round and four to the third round.
3) The 2006 Australian Open tennis championship was won by greatest tennis player Roger Federer. It was his seventh career Grand Slam title.
4) In the 2006 Australian Open tournament, 34 tie-breaks were played.
5) The defending champions of the 2007 Australian Open title were famous female tennis player Amelie Mauresmo and best male tennis player Roger Federer. Amelie won her first Grand Slam title in 2006 at the Australian Open event.
6) In the 2007 Australian Open, only two Australian tennis players (Wayne Arthurs and Lleyton) and one Australian player (Alicia Molik) made their way to the third round. Nearly 10 Australian tennis players lost in first two rounds of the 2007 Australian Open.
7) The 2007 Australian Open saw record tie-breakers in first round of men’s title. Among the players, hottest male tennis player Andy Roddick won the longest tie-break against Jo-Wilfried Tsonga by 20-18.
Famous male tennis player Fernando Gonzalez is a professional tennis player from Chile who is currently ranked at number 368 in the ATP rankings. He has been given a nickname by his fans in Chile which means “Stone hand” and “The La Reina Bomber” because he has the hardest hitting forehand shot in the tennis circuits. The English media has given him the nickname of “Gonzo”. Fernando Gonzalez is one of the few players in recent times who has at least reached to the quarter final of all Grand Slam events. His best performance in a Grand Slam event was in 2007 at the Australian Open where he reached the final but was defeated by Roger Federer. He has won the Bronze Medal in the 2004 Olympics and Silver Medal in the 2008 Olympics. In year 2009, Fernando finished Top 15th for the consecutive 5th season. He claimed the 11th ATP title on home soil and also made to semi-final of Roland Garros.
Basically, the Chilean tennis player Fernando Gonzalez is an offensive baseline player and plays powered forehand ground strokes for which he is very famous. His powerful services are effective to win the points for him. He is a sharp mover on the court and likes to play the game from the baseline rather than approaching net. He approaches the net only to play drop shots. He can hit the winners anywhere in the court with his agility and speed. However, he is not consistent in winning games because he has a habit of playing lots of unforced errors.